Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My favorite part of my trip to DC



After arriving right as it closed Wednesday, I was determined to see Arlington National Cemetary before I left Friday. So, on Friday we checked in at the airport an hour and half before our flight, then I caught the metro to the nearby cemetary. I speed walked uphill to see the tomb of the unknown soldier and watch the changing of the guard, which I had to time just right because it only happens on the hour. I took this picture (and other pictures-this being my favorite because you can see the Capital and the Jefferson Memorial) praying that wasn't my plane leaving early in the background. Then I video-taped the changing of the guard for my kids and promptly began sprinting downhill. By the time I got to the metro i was sweating in 50 degree weather. At the airport I sprinted to my gate and had 5 minutes to catch my breath before boarding. It was a worthy sacrifice:)

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see some activity on this blog. It's my favorite way of staying connected with my cousins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you are really good at catching events JUST before your planes leave.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved watching the changing of the guard when we were there last year. It is pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete